The Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships & Awards
2014 Scholarship Applications Deadline was December 1, 2013.
Click here for details about The FLY NOW Award for student pilots.
Applications for Spring 2014 Fly Now Awards are available now. Deadline to apply is March 15, 2014.
· Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships for Women Pilots
· Research Scholar Grants
· Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Winners
· Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Judges
· About the Fund
· Major Supporters
· Your Donation or Bequest
· Winners Listing
- Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships for Women Pilots
- Established in 1940 to help deserving members to further accomplishments, today the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund exceeds $4 million and provides:
- Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships for licensed pilot members to advance in training and education in aviation and aerospace, including scholarships to complete additional pilot certificates and ratings, jet type ratings, college degrees, technical training and an Emergency Maneuver Training Scholarship established in memory of 99 member Vicki Cruse.
- Research Scholar Grants to add to the world's knowledge of women in aviation and aerospace.
- FLY NOW Awards of up to $3000 towards completion of the recreational pilot, sport pilot, or private pilot certificate.
- For more information: Contact , AEMSF Co-Chairmen
There are five separate Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship applications in order to accommodate the most common types of requests. The Applicant should use the application form most appropriate to her circumstances and goal:
- 2014 Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship & Awards Fact Sheet
- Flight Training Scholarship: Fully paid scholarship to complete an additional pilot certificate or rating or pilot training course.
- Examples: Multi-engine rating, commercial certificate, KingAir competency or qualification training. Note:Excludes jet type rating.
- Requirements: Must be a current pilot with the appropriate medical certificate, and must be approaching the flight time requirement for the rating or certificate, if any.
- Jet Type Rating Scholarship: Fully paid scholarship to complete type rating certification in any jet aircraft.
- Examples : Cessna Citation, Boeing 737.
- Requirements: Must be a current Airline Transport Pilot with a First Class medical certificate, or non-U.S. equivalent, and at least 100 hours multi-engine flight time or combined multi-engine and turbine time.
- Academic Scholarship: Up to $5000 scholarship towards one year of a college degree in aviation or aerospace. Students may re-apply for continuing support through graduation.
Examples: Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree in fields such as aerospace engineering, aviation business management, air traffic management, or professional pilot. Note: Flight training may be included if integral to curriculum.
- Requirements: Must be currently enrolled. Students must have cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
- Technical Training Scholarship: Fully paid scholarship to complete an aviation or aerospace technical training or certification course.
- Examples: Airframe and/or Powerplant Mechanic certificate, Dispatcher certificate, Air Traffic Control training program, government or manufacturer's safety training, specialized training or certification course. Note: Excludes any flight training and any technical training that is part of a college degree program.
- Emergency Maneuver Training Scholarship: Fully paid scholarship to provide emergency maneuver and spin training in addition to an introduction to aerobatics. In memory of 99 Vicki Cruse, this scholarship is available to any licensed pilot member of The 99s without regard to existing ratings, financial need or length of membership. Complete details about the training can be found in the application package.
- Procedures & Deadline: Each Applicant who belongs to a Chapter needs to request a recommendation from her Chapter. Each Chapter Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Chairman should notify members to submit scholarship applications by DECEMBER 1, and must promptly return original applications with the completed 99s Recommendation to the Applicants. The original application (including 99s Recommendation for Applicants belonging to Chapters) must be submitted by the Applicant to her Section Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Chairman by DECEMBER 20.
- Application forms: The files below may be downloaded or printed or filled out while online. The file can be saved to your personal computer.
- 2014 AE Flight Training Scholarship Application
- 2014 AE Jet Type Rating Scholarship Application
- 2014 AE Academic Scholarship Application
- 2014 AE Technical Training Scholarship Application
- 2014 AE Vicki Cruse Memorial Scholarship Application for Emergency Maneuver Training
- Applicants should also download or print these files:
2014 Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship & Awards Fact Sheet
- 2014 Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Applicant Instructions & Checklist
- 2014 Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Chairman Instructions & Checklist
- Research Scholar Grants
- The documented history of woman's place in the development and furtherance of aviation and aerospace.
- Documenting and fostering the leadership role of women in all facets of aviation including social, economic, engineering, historical, political, etc.
- The expansion of human knowledge in areas of specific differences faced by women in aviation: as pilots, as engineers, as administrators, in military aviation, etc. Special disciplines applied to these problems could include, but not be limited to: history, sociology, psychology, biology, economics, business administration, human engineering, ergonomics, etc.
- The grant may be used in conjunction with other research activities such as: completion of research requirements for an advanced degree or matching funds with other grants to fund a program larger than either grant could sponsor independently.
Information on the AEMSF Research Scholar Grants, including eligibility requirements, application process, and deadlines, may be obtained from Dr. Jacqueline Boyd, AEMSF Research Scholar Grants.
- Reaching beyond The 99s Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships, scholarships both large and small are sponsored by 99s Sections and Chapters. Eligibility requirements vary considerably, so we recommend a thorough review of all scholarships listed.
- Scholarships Offered by 99s Sections and Chapters
Scholarships Offered by Other Organizations
- Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Winners
Since 1941, the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund has helped over 400 women from six countries to advance and succeed in aviation and aerospace.
Today Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship winners are pilots for the world's airlines and multinational corporations, owners of flights schools and aviation businesses, and managers with the Federal Aviation Administration. Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship winners have served at every level of The 99s, as Chapter Chairmen, Section Governors, International Presidents, and AEMSF Scholarship Chairmen and Trustees.
- Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Winners 1941-Present, by Name
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Winners 1941-Present,by Year
- New Pilot Award Winners 1941 - Present
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Judges
We are honored that these professionals in aviation and aerospace dedicate their time to carefully selecting our winners from among many deserving applicants.
2013 Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Judges
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Judges 1949 - present
About the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund
Amelia Earhart was a Charter Member and the first President of The Ninety-Nines. She was the first woman pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean and flew to new horizons in 1937 during an attempt to fly around the world. The Ninety-Nines established the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund in 1940 to honor her memory and perpetuate her ideals and love of flying. From a single scholarship of $125 in 1941, the annual Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund has grown to help over 400 women from six countries to advance and succeed in aviation and aerospace.
The Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund is a unique entity, separate from The Ninety-Nines, Inc. Managed through a charter by Trustees who are 99s members, the Fund's financial statements are included in The Ninety-Nines' annual financial statements, available from 99s Headquarters upon request.
Dr. Jacqueline Boyd
Co-Chairman & Research Scholar Grant Chairman
Major Supporters of the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund
Our Fund has surpassed Four Million Dollars, establishing itself as a marvelous legacy to the women who had the foresight to create the fund in 1940 and the dedication of those who continued building it in the years since. The Fund's success can be attributed to every contributing 99s member and the meticulous planning on the part of former Trustees who ensured that those contributions would grow in perpetuity. Thank you all!
This does NOT mean that we have millions dollars to give away, however! But with a healthy principal in the Fund, we will be able to give more scholarships, grants, and awards every year, especially now that even more 99s members are eligible to apply.
The Ninety-Nines, Inc. is very grateful to The United Parcel Service Foundation for providing generous and continuous support to the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund since 1992.
The Ninety-Nines is very grateful to Lightspeed Aviation Foundation for providing generous support to the Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund through the Foundation's annual Pilot Choice awards and for their generous matching contribution to the Vicki Cruse Memorial Scholarhip.
- Your Donation or Bequest to The 99s Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund
- These scholarships and grants would not be possible without your generous donation or bequest. For more information, please contact , AEMSF Co-Chairmen.
|To view PDF files, you must have Adobe Reader. To download a free copy, please visit Adobe's Web Site. If you use the plug-in version, simply close the browser window after you have finished reading the PDF to go back to our site.|