Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum
The Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum is located on a west bluff overlooking the Missouri River at 223 North Terrace, Atchison, Kansas.
Amelia Mary Earhart was born in this home on July 24, 1897, which was the home of her grandparents, Judge Alfred Otis and Amelia Harres Otis. Her parents were Edwin Earhart and Amy Otis Earhart. She had one sister, Muriel, who was born three years later. Both girls spent much of their childhood with their grandparents until Amelia was about 12 years old. Their parents moved frequently, as her father was a lawyer for several railroads. The grandparent's home presented early stability and an intellectual atmosphere for the Earhart girls. These early childhood years were happy ones for the two of them and greatly influenced Amelia's adult interests and accomplishments. Amelia's love of travel, spirit of adventure and scholastic achievements were reflected in her fashion designs, public speaking on aviation and women's rights, as an author of prose, poetry and books as well as her most famous aviation records. She was truly a woman ahead of her time!
The Museum is a wood-frame, Gothic Revival cottage, built in 1861, with the rear brick Italianate addition built in 1873. The family enjoyed the home until 1912, when both grandparents passed away. Two other families occupied the home until 1956 when it was purchased by Paul and Winney Allingham. They lived in the home until 1984 when they both died without children or a provision for disposition of the home. Dr. Eugene Bribach made a gift of $100,000 to The Ninety-Nines, Inc. This permitted the organization to purchase the home from the Allingham estate and make some repairs. It was indeed appropriate that The Ninety-Nines become involved in the Amelia Earhart Birthplace, as she had been selected as the first president of the organization by the 99 charter members in 1931.
In 1994, an autonomous elected Board of Trustees from The Ninety-Nines and Atchison began extensive fund raising, restoration and preservation efforts. Since that time the exterior has been completely restored. A caretaker suite has been completed on the second floor from previously unused space; central air conditioning installed, woodwork faux grained to the 1897 -1909 period; walls and ceilings repaired, floors refinished to the period; windows UV treated, selective furnishings retained, and decoration with documented wallpapers has begun. Some professional educational exhibits have been prepared with further plans to enhance and expand them. Donations of furnishings and memorabilia of the 1897-1909 period as well as financial contributions are still needed and most appreciated.
Web site: www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org